Sonntag, 20. März 2016

Truus - my life story



Short journey through my life



me at work


















My colleague Alfred, with whom I work, has began to write a blog and has asked me to join him - give it more substance.

It is good to write something from time to time about what I’m doing here in Uganda.
Well, let me tell you something about myself that may not be known.

I was born just after the Second World War and I think that influenced my whole life.
I find it very strange that the conditions here now are similar to what I saw back in the Netherlands by then.
The scarcity of everything, the poor health care and the struggle to survive.

I grew up in a strongly religious working class family, with the scarcities, the fears but also the happiness that the war was over.
In Uganda religion play also an important role. For me, it was not easy to accept the image of God. At most I was wondering about the Farao stories.
The years from the end of 1950 to 1960 distinguished themselves as years of progess with financial improvement and certainly an improvement in health care.

When I was 18 I decided to become a nurse. Before that I was employed in an office as an invoice clerk. I chose to concentrate on the section for the mentally ill/handicapt people. I completed the course after 3 years and obtained the Z. diploma in nursing.
This first group I took care of, has always been important to me and has never realy let me go. They tugged at my heartstrings.

This was still a time of big institutions and there was a treadmill that the group had to walk around in order to make them tired. Early, I protested against this and began to spend time with them, play with them. This was mostly on a Saturday when the
Head sister was not there. Luckily, I gained approval and so we started to have „playing days“.

After the Z. dipIoma I followed the education course for general nursing and for a long time I was employed at the Hofpoort Hospital, mostly in the neurology department.
On my holidays I traveled with groups of mentally handicapt, I did this with great pleasure and time after time I learned from this group how simple it was to enjoy
life. I also took them on wintersport holidays. We taught groups to ski and langlauf.
We did this every year around the end of January.

One day there came an opportunity to take unpaid leave due to supply nursing staff and so I went to Calcutta in India where I worked with Mother Theresa. This was a very special time and a very special exprience.

I went back to India several times in my holidays and I started to interfere with child prostitution which the local gouverment did not like so they kicked me out. For me this was a lasting concern, mostly because children asked me if I can pay their school fees  because they couldn't afford any more. I  couldn't do this for a whole camp of children.

This taught me that poverty leads to a lot of misery and serious situations.

When I was 45 years old, I started to study theology for 5 years and graduated. In that time I did a apprenticeship in the jail. A very impressive experience! Every time I came out of the doors, I was happy that I was free – had the possibility to go out. A prison is a house with closed doors - you have to work with keys.


In 2010 I came to St. Clare Health Center with a group of Netherland people from the foundation Amuria.
We painted something in the health center and I met Alfred for the first time.
Alfred having fun
















I was touched by the situation and came back from time to time.
From 2013 I'm here permanentely. I started many things by now like a diabetic clinic and an epilepsy clinic with support from the neurologist with whom I had worked in the Netherlands years ago.

teaching session in Ococia 
The group of mentally disabled children in Uganda is huge (and mostly a neglected group). I try together with Alfred to build up a small school to take care for this group. It looks like this will succeed but it still requires a lot of input and most of all well educated staff.
We look forward for any help and suggestions are most welcome.


Truus.



me getting new energy for the day