Sonntag, 28. Mai 2017

My journey to Uganda, February till March , 2017



Let me first introduce myself. My name is Simon Schoon. I am a retired pastor of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands and also retired professor of the Protestant Theological University in the Netherlands. I have a special interest in Africa, because my wife and I adopted a son from Ethiopia in 1977 when he was a half year old. 

with my scooter driver in Jinja
Truus is a longtime friend of our family. She invited me already many times to visit her in Uganda and see her project in Ococia, Amuria district . At last, I could in the beginning of this year, accept her invitation. And it came out to be a very good decision. Especially I admired that she managed to build a school for retarded and handicapped children. The paintings on the walls of the building, made by a local artist, are very colorful, mostly images of nature. But there are still many challenges ahead for the full realization and implementation of the school program, the teachers, and so on.  

"Eukenos" building


Olivier B. Bommel and Tom Poes from a Dutch comic strip
















Truus is already for a long time a close friend of our family. She started to study theology in Amsterdam, together with my late wife Riet in the beginning of the eighties. In 1996 they travelled together to India and worked for a certain period of time in the project of mother Teresa in Calcutta. Last year my wife Riet died. When Truus invited me again to come to Uganda, it seemed to me that it could be a helpful  step in my mourning period to visit the place where Riet had such a good time with Truus in 2010. So, I did, and I have no regrets. It was a very special experience.

Of course I visited also the Franciscan sisters in Ococia, who were assisting the community in different functions. 

Two of the sisters with Truus
In Ococia I was shown around in the schools and health center. I spoke with the priest, the nuns, the workers in the school and hospital, and had also a chance to ask my questions to patients and students. As theologian I had a special interest for the celebrations in some of the churches of this very Christian country. Religion seemed to give people consolation in their rather poor circumstances. 

Nearby was a Pentecostal church where we on a Sunday morning were welcomed and seated in the front of the church. It was a very special experience, a jubilant service that made me realize that our kind of church services in Holland would be regarded by African people as very boring. The people present were ecstatic praising the Lord, but in such an enthusiastic and noisy way that I got a terrible headache. We saw and experienced that these churches fulfil a very important functions in the life of the people.

Pentecostal service



















 Let me finish with some pictures, by which I can make clear that we did also some tourist sightseeing.
At Sipi Falls
 At the so called sources  of the Nile near Jinja